Regardless of where you go to gamble, Roulette is often one of the most popular games in the entire casino. Many times, there will be huge crowds of people in casinos, pushing up against the table. While other games are also popular, Roulette has been on top for decades. As gambling becomes more popular online, every online casino will also offer at least a few tables of Roulette for you to enjoy. If you have already gone through all of our popular casino bonuses and haven’t found one for your casino, then our friends over at Hitcasinobonus.com have an extensive list of the best casino bonuses for Roulette.
The Basics of Roulette
Roulette in French means “little wheel.” When you play Roulette, it consists of three components: a ball, a wheel, and the roulette table. The table and the wheel will have the numbers 1 through 36, as well as a single zero listed out. However, if you are playing at an American casino, it will also have a double zero. All the numbers will be red or black, except for the zero or double zero, which is often green. When betting on the table, you will have these betting options: even, odd, black, red, 1-18, 9-36, and the first, second, and third dozen.
The wheel game starts when each player makes a bet. The croupier, or dealer, will throw the ball into the spinning roulette wheel. You might realize that as the wheel spins, the ball goes in the opposite direction. This might not be that important when playing online, but it is still nice to know some of the details. As this is happening, people can continue to make bets. As soon as the ball begins to roll on the roulette wheel, and the dealer will call out that no more bets are allowed. The ball will then land on a number within the Roulette. The winners who bet the correct number, color, or section will be rewarded based on their betting odds.
According to ABC News, Roulette is one of the best games to play, because it is simple but still pays out well. If you decide to bet on just red or black, you still have roughly a 50-50 chance of walking away with money in your pocket. Of course, there is that one small catch that gives the house the edge: the green 0, and in the American Roulette, 00.
The players make bets using chips and can place those chips on any number of propositions. There are many kinds of bets, but here are a few:
- Inside bets are made by placing your chips directly on one or more numbers.
- Straight Up Bet: In European Roulette, there are 37 numbers (1-36, and zero) on the wheel. When you make a bet on any one of these number so, it will return 35:1.
- Split Number: This occurs when you place the chip between two adjacent numbers. It can either be horizontally or vertically. Hitting the Split Number Bet will pay out 17:1.
- Line or Street Bet: This is when you cover three horizontal numbers in a row. You make this bet by placing the chip, so it straddles the vertical line on the outermost number in the row. It will pay out 11-1
- Basket Bet: This bet, which pays 11:1, covers 0, 1, 2, or 00, 2, 3, or 0, 00, 2.
- Quad or Corner Bet: One chip must be placed on the intersection of four numbers. It pays out 8:11.
- Top Line Bet: During this bet, a chip must be placed on the line covering 0, 00, 1, 2, 3, and pays 6:1.
- Double Street or 6 Line Bet: This bet will cover two adjoining streets and pays out 6:1 odds.
- Outside bets are when bets are placed outside of the central number grid. It will cover the table and is when you place the chips on different propositions, like high-low, red-black, odd-even, first, second or third dozen.
- Column Bet: When you place a chip on the head or at the column of the number, it will stretch the entire length of the table. Each of these columns will contain twelve numbers and pays off 2:1.
- Dozens: The table will be split into three blocks, with a dozen numbers in each block. You will place one chip on one of the dozens, and it will pay out 2:1 odds.
- Odd/even: This is probably one of the most common types of bets, especially for beginners. It is when you place the chip on the odd or even part of the table. It will pay out 1:1 odds.
- Red/Black: This type of bet is when you put the chip on the black or red area on the table. It pays 1:1
- Low numbers (1-18): To make this bet, you must place the chip in that area of play. It will pay 1:1.
- High numbers (19-36): This type of bet pays out 1:1 and can be made when you place the chip in that area of play.
When you come up to the roulette table, you might think that it is difficult to understand how to make the bets, but it becomes easier once you start to play and understand when to bet, what to do when you win or lose, and how to handle other players at your table.
One thing that is important to note that many of these popular strategies are made using even bets. This will often work within the same progression where you double or reduce your following bets based on whether you lose or win on the Roulette spin.
Of course, betting is a gamble, so none of these strategies is a sure thing. Many of these strategies are to help you play for more extended periods; so you won’t win big, but you likely won’t lose big either. However, hopefully, these strategies can get you on a run that you can cash out with a fat wallet. We’ve given a variety of strategies so you can choose which one you like best for your gambling. Here are some of the best strategies to help you win.
- Martingale Strategy: As one of the more popular betting strategies out there, you will likely see others using this technique in a variety of betting situations. The idea of it is to double your bet if you lose until you hit a winning bet. You can use this strategy with whatever betting strategy you like, including quad, double street, or basket bets. However, if you are just learning how to play Roulette, it is recommended that you stick with less complex bets, like odds/evens, high/low, and red/black. These bets pay out 1:1. It doesn’t matter what you bet, as long as you double the next bet when you make lose a bet.
- The Reverse Martingale Strategy: As you might guess from the name, this strategy will work the opposite of the Martingale strategy. Instead of doubling each losing bet, you will double your next bet after you win a successful round. Once again, it is best to use this technique with even money bets like odds/evens, red/black, and high/low. Before you begin to bet, you should determine how much you want to win or lose before cashing in your chips.
- D’Alembert Strategy: This is another betting technique that is better for even money (1:1) bets that were mentioned above. This is a low-risk betting strategy, and which means that you likely won’t win or lose very much. The idea behind the strategy is that when you win, you lower your betting amount by one. When you lose, you increase your bet by one. Once again, you should set a limit on how much you want to win or lose to help keep your gambling losses at a minimum.
- Reverse D’Alembert Strategy: As the name suggests, for this strategy, you raise your bet by one every time you win, and when you lose, you lower your bet by one.
- Fibonacci Betting Strategy: The Fibonacci number sequence was first created way back in 1202. It is a system that allows you to sequence the number by adding the sum of two numbers to get the next one. If you start with one, the sequence would be 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, etc. This technique is also used on even money bets, and it helps you keep winning back your money in a series of small wins. To use this technique, when you lose, you increase your stake up to the next number in the series. When you win, you go back two numbers in the sequencing order and place your bet utilizing that new number. This strategy can get a bit complicated.
- The Reverse Fibonacci Betting Strategy: Using this system, you do the opposite of what you did in the Fibonacci betting strategy. That means when you win, you move one step forward in the sequence, and when you lose, you should move two steps back in the sequence.
Tips For Playing Roulette Online
- Play with a Live Dealer: You will have the option to play with a live dealer, where a real table and wheel are used. You can play the game live as the dealer bets in front of you. This is almost like playing at a casino in real-life. While it does take a bit longer than a simulated game, it is more authentic and real.
- Play European Roulette. European Roulette, which has just one zero on the wheel, has a higher return to player (97.3%) than American Roulette (94.73%), which has a single zero and a double zero on the wheel.
- Avoid side bets. Side bets are often not profitable, and you should avoid them to make sure your wallet isn’t suffering.
- Never bet more on a spin than you can win on one of your bets. Many people have the strategy of covering the board with chips. However, you should never bet more than you can win if one of your numbers does win. A quick way to lose money is to bet more than you can win on a spin.
- Set limits for yourself. Before you begin to bet, make sure to set yourself limits and decide how much you are prepared to lose or win. Once you hit either of those limits, it is usually your signal that is time to quit the table or at least take a break.
- Read reviews and recommendations of other players. Before you play at a new casino, make sure that you are reading the reviews of the best live roulette casinos to play at. They can give you advice on the games, how trustworthy the casino is, and any other tips to help.
Different Online Roulette Games
There are many different types of online roulette games. Some of the different versions include:
- American Roulette which has both the single 0 and double 00 on the wheel
- European Roulette has one single zero on the roulette wheels. You are allowed to place Neighbour Bets and Call Bets.
- French Roulette has single-zero roulette wheels, and lets you place Call Bets and Neighbour Bets. There is also a rule called La Partage that says if you make an even-money bet, and the ball lands on a zero, you will lose half of your money, rather than all of it.
- Roulette Royale features a progressive jackpot that can grow to more than hundreds or thousands of dollars. If the same number is hit five times in a row, you hit the progressive roulette jackpot!
- Multiplayer Roulette allows five players to play European Roulette at the same time. That way, you can cheer each other on, chat with the other players, and watch their betting patterns.
- Multi-Wheel European Roulette means you can spin eight online roulette wheels all at once. This means that you have more chances to win and hit it big.
Roulette is a fun and exciting game to play, both online and in a real-life casino. Because you can make simple or sophisticated bets, it is a perfect match for novices and beginners alike. As you can see in this video posted on the iHeartRadio blog, it can be quite exciting when you win big.