Online Casino Terminology
If you are new to online casinos, or you could use some help with casino terminology and the words and phrases used by people playing casino games, you’re in the right place. We know you’re eager to start winning real money on free spin casinos, but it’s probably a good idea to arm yourself with the correct lingo first.
The terms we have prepared for you in this detailed casino glossary will help you with the casino games you like playing and give you a clear advantage. Knowledge is power, so let’s take a look at some of the most commonly used casino terms in the online world.
Online Casino Terminology
- Bet — The amount of money you’ve placed on a casino game as your wager. You can either win it or lose it. The term is used in slot games, video poker, and almost all other games you can find in casinos.
- Bonus — The term signifies an amount of money the casino awards the player for free if they meet the requirements set in place for that bonus. See more info on our Casino Bonuses page.
- Bonus Code — A string of letters and numbers that players need to put in a specific field to get a bonus that’s connected to the code. Some bonuses require codes, but many don’t.
- Casino Software — The term signifies the software used to power the casino platform and the games that you get to play.
- Casino Titles — The term denotes the games you can play in the casino.
- Deposit Match — With many casino bonuses, you need to deposit a specific amount, and the casino will match it with the same amount or a specific percentage of it.
- E-Wallet — An online payment method (like Skrill or Neteller) to which you safely connect a credit card or bank account. Then you can use the e-wallet to deposit or withdraw money from a casino.
- Eye in the Sky — Players use this term for the cameras land-based casinos use to monitor what happens on the premises, especially at the gaming tables.
- Free Spins — Offered as a bonus feature in slot games, they allow you to spin the reels for free.
- Live Dealer — The person running a live dealer game (usually card games) in a casino or assisting the players playing the game. The term croupier is also used to signify this person.
- Maximum Withdrawal Limit — Signifies the specific amount you can withdraw at once or during a specific timeframe. Most casinos have it to ensure they can pay all players, especially every high roller who invests and earns vast sums of money.
- No Account Casino — A type of casino where you don’t have to register an account to play. You only need to deposit money.
- No Deposit Bonus — A type of welcome bonus that you get for registering at a casino. There’s no need to deposit money to get it. See our list of no deposit bonus casinos.
- No Limit Slots — The term denotes slot games without a maximum bet limit or a win limit.
- Payout — The amount of money you win in a game from the wager you placed. For example, the money you win by hitting the winning combination in a slot game is the payout.
- Paytable — A table in each slot game that shows you what the winning combinations for the game are.
- Progressive Jackpot — This is a regular jackpot that increases over time. In most cases, the more players bet in this type of game, the higher the jackpot will get, until someone wins it, at which point it resets and starts increasing once again.
- Random Number Generator (RNG) — The type of software used in most casino titles to produce random events and ensure fair play for users.
- Reels — This term is used to signify the reels with symbols in every slot game. They spin and connect symbols in winning combinations.
- Video Slot — The most common casino titles that work similarly to traditional slot machines. The basic premise of all video slots is the same; you spin the reels and bet on getting one of the several winning combinations.
- Wagering Requirements — This term is always used in casinos to signify the number of times you need to wager your winnings before you can withdraw them. The requirements are always connected to a welcome bonus or some other casino bonus.
- Win Restrictions — Many casinos often place restrictions on how much you may win from their games or bonuses.